We're going greener! Here at FREENOW, we’re concentrating on a brighter future, a greener future, a future where all the vehicles on FREENOW are zero-emission capable.
Over the last few months, while the country has been moving slower, we’ve taken the time to better understand the wants and needs of your passengers and city: 60% said they would use the most sustainable option available to them on a ride-hailing app and we’ve seen the proof with more and more passengers choosing to book an electric PHV first.
The government has put a ban on the sale of new petrol and diesel vehicles from 2030 and the introduction of new green number plates to raise awareness of the growing number of cleaner vehicles on the road. We’re moving faster, FREENOW is pledging to have 100% zero-emission capable vehicles on the app by 2025.
To reach this ambitious target, we are declaring 6 key steps to how we will get there:
- We will invest over £20 million supporting drivers to switch to electric vehicles.
- We will phase out vehicles from our app according to increasingly ambitious emission and age criteria, ahead of the regulatory requirements.
- We will partner with local authorities, regulators and the Government to improve EV infrastructure.
- We will invest over £10 million into passenger marketing & discounts to promote electric options.
- We will provide solutions that help businesses access greener travel now, and to reach their future sustainability goals.
- We will carbon offset all emissions from 2020 onwards, focussing on the preservation & regeneration of forests, including planting 20,000 trees in Europe.
What if I already have an electric vehicle?
As you've already got an electric vehicle, you don't need to do anything.
Keep on doing what you're doing. As the market picks up again from the current lockdown, you'll be first in line to benefit from our investments into passenger and B2B marketing.
What have electric vehicles achieved so far on FREENOW?
- Together, electric vehicles have saved 4,000 tonnes of CO2 (that’s the equivalent to planting 250k trees!
- Together, you’ve driven 23 million kilometres.
- You’ve had more ride offers, lower costs (on average you save £432 per month from congestion charges, petrol, and other fees) and higher tips all thanks to your car.
I have a Non-ZEC PHV. What does this mean for me?
Do you have a non-zero emission capable (ZEC) vehicle? Here is a timeline of what to expect:
2023: If your car emits more than 111g CO2 per Km, it will be switched off from the platform.
2024: All existing PHV vehicles that emit more than 93g CO2 per Km will be switched off from the platform
2025: All existing PHV vehicles that aren’t ZEC will be switched off, leaving only ZEC vehicles (plugin hybrid and BEV), we will stop onboarding all non-ZEC PHV vehicles
We know switching to a new electric vehicle is an expensive decision to make, that’s why we commit to helping you do so. We’ll stay in touch with the latest offers and support.
How do I know if my vehicle is ZEC compliant?
If you are unsure whether your current vehicle is ZEC compliant, or would like to understand more about this initiative please look through this information provided by TfL - https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/taxis-and-private-hire/emissions-standards-for-phvs.